This North Carolina Children, Youth, and Families at Risk (CYFAR) project uses community gardening to: empower communities to produce food for families, deliver hands-on nutrition education, create opportunities for youth to develop agri-related business skills, build leadership among community members, and provide engaging activities for family members of all ages to work together for a common purpose.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Have Extra Garden Produce? Donate to Students in Need

-- Durham, NC

Hello Briggs Avenue Gardeners,

I’m Sally Parlier, the Volunteer Coordinator at Durham Tech. You may have seen me and some of our students volunteering during garden workdays. I’m writing to announce a new garden initiative that will gather gardeners’ extra produce and distribute it to our students in need.

At Durham Tech, our students often go to school while working and supporting their families. They can struggle to make ends meet as they seek to better their lives through education, and we’ve noticed that some students are having a hard time affording groceries and healthy food. This summer, Durham Tech is piloting a program to distribute fresh produce to students in need on our campus.

In order to do this, we need your help! If you have excess fruits and vegetables from your plot at Briggs and would like to make a donation, you can do one of two things:

1. Meet me in the garden. Durham Tech volunteers and I will be in the garden working and accepting donations on the following Tuesdays during workdays:



2. Email me to let me know what you’d like to donate and your plot number. Volunteers and I will harvest your specific donation on the Tuesdays when we’re volunteering. Please send an email to parliers@durhamtech.edu or call me at 919-536-7231 (ext. 8194).

* Please note: We will never take from a gardener’s plot without his/her consent. You are in no way obligated to make donations of your produce to our cause, and you don’t have to donate every week. Even one time donations are helpful.

If the July pilot goes well, we’d like to continue this project through the growing season. Thank you for your consideration. Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns, or wish to make a donation.

1 comment:

  1. I was founding any interesting article like yours. It is lovely enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content material as your weblog, the internet will be much more helpful for every one here.
    Just visit Al-Quran Classes Register here for 3 days Free

    ReplyDelete